28 November, 2009

Coat: promised construction details

First the ugly fabric underlining, on top of which is the polyester windblock. The windblock has sides but no undersleeves. I'm not convinced the coat really needs it; I might just rip it out if the whole thing feels too bulky.

The windblock and lining are cut wider for ease of wear, but as I didn't want to be adding more layers, I eased them to the facing instead of pleating.




And then the lining. The charmeuse had a cute houndstooth detail along one side, so I put that along the front facings.



As with my GCSA greatcoat, I added an inside pocket on the left side, a very useful little thing to have (well, mine isn't little - those big raccoons need a warm & cuddly spot, y'know!) The collar's now in; I followed BWOF's instructions to a T on that, and readily applaud them - can't think any other way would've worked with all the bulk along the neckline. Recall, the extra yoke adds 3 layers, the underlinings add 3 layers, and the back raglan adds two thick multi-layer seams for the machine to cross. Just as with the back corners, I sewed the connection point of the collar to the front neckline (mark 11 on the pattern) by hand, as the machine just wouldn't be able to get that close.

Just to leave you with a teaser, I love the look! it's modern, it's sleek, it's "not off the rack". You'll see! promise.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh! Fabulous so far! I can't wait to see it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful! I just love the lining colors and print.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have given you a blog award. Come by my blog (http://katiekadiddlehopper.blogspot.com/2009/11/honest-scrap.html) to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking coat and thanks for the construction details.

    ReplyDelete