Being in the throes of an utterly fabulous spring, I persuaded my child to part with his fave (mom-made) wool slacks. Kids being the perfidious creatures that they are, the only way I succeeded in prying the wool off his legs was, a la matador, by waving some new mom-made slacks in his general direction.
Moving on. I realized I had just enough remnants left over to make a very nice unlined spring jacket to match the two pants pairs. Yes, using the Burda 9700 pattern above.
I managed to squeeze out two pockets, upper collar, upper cuffs, and cuff openings with the blue. And was lucky indeed to find buttons of the exact shade of brilliant blue. Dad gets the credit for the matching blue headphones :)
As things go, this was a relatively painless set of projects. The Singer buttonholer is a veritable godsend! No pain buttonholes henceforth, oh thank you Mr. Singer! Lovely, quick, easy, beautifully reproducible. Not only that, but since I already had the cover over the feed teeth, for the first time in my sewing career I tried to sew the buttons on by machine (using the zig-zag stitch). Whaddya know, it worked! Six buttonholes and six buttons all done before morning coffee got cold - a winning morning!
I also learned something very useful with this project: sewing corduroy is delightful - the stuff sticks together like glue, seams stay straight, fabric doesn't overstretch, and as long as one remembers not to overpress, especially from the right side, the results are very consistent and pretty. Shhhhh! don't tell the boy child - he's of an age when pretty no longer applies.